25 Aug 2014 49er, 49er FX, and Nacra 17 U.S. National Championship: Final Day
OYSTER BAY, NY (09.24.2014) – Competitor’s main focus was on strategy for the final day of the 2014 49er, 49er FX, and the Nacra 17 U.S. National Championship at Oakcliff Sailing.
“Focusing on strategy was a gear change from previous days,” said John Casey, a part of the winning duo of Newberry/Casey for the Nacra 17 division. “We knew the medal race was going to be difficult for us, so we tried to take it as another race and stay relaxed.”
For most of the teams, the final medal race was going to be a make it or break it moment for them. Like Sarah Newberry and John Casey, Brad Funk and Trevor Burd also had an intense race to their podium finish.
“We needed a few things to happen during the medal race in order for us to win,” said Brad Funk. “We were close in points with the top boat (Fred Strammer and Zach Brown), so we had to put up a good fight around the course to secure our spot.”
The top three boats in each class were awarded with Gill Bucks thanks to Gill, one of our sponsors.
Also thank you to our sponsors Heron Financial and T2P.TV for their support of the 2014 49er, 49er FX, and Nacra 17 U.S. National Championship!
Congrats to all teams!
Final Results are as follows:
- Brad Funk/Trevor Burd
- Fred Strammer/Zach Brown
- Andrew Mollerus/David Liebenberg
- Tyler Macdonald/Harry Schmidt
- Mac Agnese/James Moody
- Paul Throop/Alex Throop
- Sam Gustin/Ian Woodbury
- Wade Waddell/Ian MacDiarmid
- Paris Henken/Helena Scutt
- Debbie Capozzi/ Molly Vandemoer
- Kristen Lane/Maggie Shea
- Mayumi Roller/Kayla McComb
- Campbell D’Eliscu/Briggs D’Eliscu
- Michael Sabourin/Andrew Pearson
- Emily Dellenbaugh/ Elizabeth Barry
- Kate Shaner/Ellie Shaw
- Sarah Newberry/John Casey
- Jeremy Wilmot/Louisa Chafee
- Enrique Figueroa/Franchesca Valdes
- Mike Easton/Katie Pettibone
- Sarah Streater/Matthew Whitehead
- Sophia Schultz/Nico Schultz
- Terri McKenna/Annie Gardner
- Cate Gundlach/Garrett Brown
- Joseph Bello/Christina Persson
- David Hein/Chris Manson-Hing
For more information, please visit our website https://www.oakcliffsailing.org or email Samantha Pilz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
P: (516) 802-0368
About Oakcliff Sailing
Oakcliff Sailing, Oyster Bay, NY is the only complete training and coaching center in the world. Oakcliff’s Sapling and Acorn programs create complete sailors who are capable of sailing in any position, fixing every aspect of a boat and managing a small marine business. Oakcliff trains sailors in match and fleet racing, inshore and offshore, fully crewed and short handed as well as providing access to historically significant classic yachts. Oakcliff is a non-profit organization open to all sailors of all ages and levels. Oakcliff has also been named an official US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider Training center with 8 each of the Olympic Classes: Nacra 17, 49er and 49er FX.